Child Custody and Support in North Alabama


Child Custody & Child Visitation

Custody issues can be resolved by agreement of the parties, negotiation, mediation, or trial in the event that negotiation or mediation are unsuccessful. Custody actions involve various options including decisions about joint legal custody or sole legal custody, which pertains to decision making regarding the children, and joint physical custody or sole physical custody including/shared custody arrangements. In the event that the parties agree or the court orders sole physical custody to one party, then the other parent will enjoy rights of visitation. Courts encourage parents, even in these cases, to allow or enjoy liberal visitation with the children.

In the event of a trial, there are a number of factors that the court will consider in determining which parent will have sole care, custody, and control of the child or children. Attorney Rachel Murphy Morgan is experienced and knowledgeable of custody and visitation matters and can assist you in resolving these issues in consideration of the best interest of the child.

Child Support

Child support is determined by whether the parties have sole physical custody or joint physical custody. Rachel Murphy Morgan has experience in child support matters, whether from a divorce, modification, or paternity action.

Modification of an Existing Order or Decree of Custody, Visitation, or Child Support

When there is a material change in circumstances, substantial and continuing, it would be appropriate to petition the court for a modification. You may petition the court for modification to custody when circumstances require such, or you may petition the court for a modification of visitation or child support when there has been a change in lifestyle of one of the parties, financial status of one of the parties, or a job change or relocation. For example, when the unexpected happens to impact your financial status, good or bad, a change in support may be necessary.

Rachel Murphy Morgan has experience in modification actions and can advise the client with regards to custody, visitation, and child support matters.


When parents were never married, a party should petition the court to establish and adjudicate paternity, custody, visitation, and child support. Once paternity is established, visitation should be awarded to the non-custodial parent, and child support should be awarded to the custodial parent. An adjudication of paternity may be the only way the non-custodial parent, usually the father, will be granted visitation.

Father's Rights

Rachel Murphy Morgan has been successful numerous times in winning custody for fathers, particularly in modification actions.

Grandparents' Rights

Under certain circumstances, the grandparents may petition the court for custody of their grandchildren. You should consult with Rachel Murphy Morgan to discuss the facts, understand the law, and receive advice to resolve the issue in the best interest of the children.

Special Note

No matter how much a couple is at odds with each other, their mutual goal should be to raise the child without conflict. Rachel Murphy Morgan will advocate for your parental rights, whether mom or dad, so that no one misses the important milestones in your children's lives.

Contact Rachel Murphy Morgan if you are a custodial or non-custodial parent, or grandparent, if you are concerned about custody or visitation, living conditions, or the emotional well-being or safety of your child, or grandchild, since separation of the parents.
Child Custody Law in North Alabama
Custody and Visitation Law in North Alabama